It’s stating the obvious, but the modelling and talent industry is incredibly competitive, however the Models Direct team have successfully matched models to clients for over 28 years now! – So we know what we’re looking for!
If you are thinking of making an application to a modelling agency, it’s really important to consider the following points giving yourself the best possible chance of being noticed and being offered a contract of representation.
- PHOTO’s – The ‘New Face’ team at Models Direct, spend a big part of their day viewing photographs of potential models and talent. People have a very different idea of what a good photograph is, but it’s something you need to make sure is showing you at your best. It’s not necessary to get professional portfolio’s done, as looks change, especially with children, so natural, clear images are best. Photographs are the first thing that are going to grab an agents attention, so be sure to include a headshot and a full length shot in your application. The pictures need to be recent, taken in natural light, clear background and show your personality – not SELFIE’S!!
- INFORMATION – Be sure to give lots of relevant information in your application, what are you looking to achieve? What sort of modelling would you like to do? What experience do you have, if any? What additional talents do you have? This is all useful information for an agent. If an agent makes contact with you from your application then they will want to know all this type of information, so be sure to have given it some thought, you wouldn’t turn up at an interview without doing some preparation, so think of this as the same thing!
- MEASUREMENTS – Be clear and honest with your measurements, sometimes we like to think we are different sizes to what we actually are, this is helpful to an agent! Make sure your statistics are accurate and up to date, you never know what an agency is looking for! There may be a particular job or client the agent has in mind for you already, alot of modelling and fashion work will come down to measurements and sizing, so be accurate with your information.
- PERSONALITY & ATTITUDE – It’s essential to an agent how you come across as a person, if you are made an offer by an agency you will be representing them too, so an agent will be looking for models who are committed, hard working and easy to contact. If it’s difficult to make contact with a model at the application stage then it doesn’t bode well for the future if and when they are selected for work. This makes an agents job so much harder, so the ‘New Face’ team will be looking for applicants who are responsible, reliable and contactable!!
- Social Media – Include all your social media accounts and details, so many of us now don’t respond to phone calls, although Models Direct insist on phone contact, however social media accounts and other forms of contact can be incredibly useful!
Good luck with your application, if you are determined to make a success of modelling then put in the effort and be sure to be showing yourself off at your best! Create a good relationship with your agent, it’s amazing the difference it can make!