At Models Direct it is not essential to have professional pictures, we don’t ask our models to have expensive portfolios either, however it is essential to provide us with good, clear, up to date images of yourself, for us to have the best chance of securing you work.
To make the most of photos taken by friends and family, suggest they follow these simple guidelines:
- Avoid ‘camera shake’ by holding the camera steady. Use both hands, resting your elbows on your chest, or on a wall for support. Relax: don’t tense up. You can buy affordable mini-tripods for use with digital cameras that will get rid of camera shake altogether.
- Direct eye contact can be as engaging in a picture as it is in real life. Hold the camera at the model’s eye level to unleash the power of those magnetic gazes and mesmerising smiles. For children, that means stooping to their level. Photos taken at eye level angle will have a personal and inviting feeling that pulls you into the picture.
- A photograph is all about light, so think about how the light is striking the model. The best bet is to ensure that the sun is behind and to one side of the photographer. Lighting the subject from the front brings out colours and shades, whilst the slight angle produces shadow to indicate texture and form.
- The best shots are simple, so move closer and remove any clutter from the picture. Filling the frame with just the face or even overflowing it will give your shot some impact.
- If you are submitting photographs of your child please make sure their faces are clean and not covered in food – this may be cute to a parent, but it isn’t cute to a potential client.
- A variety of images on your portfolio is important, particuarly when being promoted for commercial modelling. Clients will want to see how versatile your look is and also that you are comfortable to portray different roles infront of the camera.
- The Models Direct team ask all models to keep their portfolio images up to date, our looks do change, particuarly with children and clients will select a model based on the images they see, so they expect you to look in person as you do on your portfolio.
The Models Direct team are always happy to discuss your pictures with you and advise you on what looks best on your portfolio. It is essential you stand out to clients when being put forward for work.