Taking 1000’s of pics to get just one instagram worthy one – does this sound like you??
With us all now taking pictures of ourselves at every given opportunity, it’s more essential than ever to be photogenic and save our camera rolls becoming full of outtakes – Models Direct gives you 10 top tips to being instantly photogenic….
- Tilt your head: When looking directly at the camera tilt your head slightly to one side and lift your chin, this will give your features more depth and help define your jawline to give a more flattering look.
- Don’t Stand Closest To The Camera: If you are part of a group being photographed avoid standing closest to the camera, you will appear
disproportionately larger compared to the others if you are closest to the lens. Position yourself towards the end of the group or furthest from the camera.
- Relax: Being relaxed infront of the camera is not easy especially if you are not often infornt of the camera. You may need to take a few pics just to warm up and feel comfortable. It can help to close your eyes for a couple of seconds and then take the pic as you open them and smile, it will create a more genuine look. The more photographs taken of you the quicker you relax infront of the camera.
- Take Seated Pics From a High Angle: If you are seated in the photograph then your photographer should have the camera above you, this way you will tilt your face up to meet it. This angle will be more flattering and extend your jawline.
- Show Your Best Side: We all have a better side, apparently this is often your left side, so when the camera is on you try and show one side of your face to the camera. If you angle your face slightly the light will be more complimentary to you.
- Avoid Red-Eye: The best way to avoid red-eye is to look at a light just before a photograph is taken of you, this will shrink your pupils and therefore minimise the risk of red-eye.
- Smile with your eyes: When posing for a picture you have to smile on demand, for some this can be diffuclt and you want to make it appear as genuine as possible. To do this put your tongue behind your teeth and smile with your eyes, easier said than done, but practice in the mirror to see what your face does. A fake laugh can help to, this often ends up becoming a real laugh and therefore a great, natural, happy shot can be captured.
- Say the word ‘Thursday’: It’s well known to say the word ‘cheese’ when posing for a picture, however this can often create a very wide grin, instead try saying the word ‘Thursday’ – this will soften your face, part your lips slightly and avoid a wide fake grin.
- Natural Light: Light plays a big part in a photograph, if you can try and make sure there is lots of natural light on you and it’s a soft light if possible. A good light will compliment your features and can create a different look depending on where the light is hitting your face.
- Confidence & Emotion: Confidence infront of the camera is not easy for some, but confident people tend to be more photogenic. Be aware of your best angles and features and make sure you use them! If you have big eyes, flawless skin, perfect teeth or a million dollar smile then be confident in that and show it off in photographs!
For any more modelling information or the option to apply to Models Direct click here