Confidence can produce great things…
Everyone has confidence in one form or another, although some use it more than others. No one is born with confidence; it’s a belief usually developed through experience. Most people develop more confidence in a situation or activity the more these are undertaken by that individual. A good example is skydiving…how many amateurs will have supreme confidence on their first jump from a plane? Not many. But how many will overcome nerves and become confident in this exhilarating activity on their 300th jump? Far more. Experience – and being comfortable doing it – amplifies confidence.
Modelling is a prime example of an activity or job that can (and does) increase confidence. For many, it’s been one of the best ways to increase confidence. We’ve seen over the past few years why modelling can increase confidence, both with talking to models and in reading our model’s feedback. So, how can modelling boost self esteem? Below are some of the ways by which a model’s confidence can soar:
· Interacting with other people. This is a major advantage in the modelling world. Commercial modelling assignments often involve meeting new friends and working with other professionals, from casting directors, makeup artists, photographers and creative agencies. Models report back to us that mingling with a variety of people increases self-belief. Meeting new people can give models a different perspective on working culture, picking up tips and being offered advice. This all contributes to a model’s overall confidence.
· Being on set. This is where models can overcome any “camera shy” moments. The buzz of being on a live set can only add to a model’s experience, supplementing confidence and making models more self-assured.
· Coping with success and rejection. Whilst most of our talent will taste the highs associated with successful shoots, handling rejections in a positive manner to bounce back with success is a great confidence booster. Overcoming negativity both in life and in the modelling industry is a wonderful tonic for increasing confidence. Aim high, have realistic goals, and have the confidence to fulfil them!
· Own travel. Modelling can involve travel and initiating a model’s own working routine. It’s a wonderful feeling for a model when they’ve carried out their own travel plans perfectly which results in a successful assignment.
· Enjoyment. Quite simply, taking pleasure in your work is a natural release for “happy hormones”, which play a part in increasing confidence. A happy model is a confident model!
· Freedom. Modelling allows a certain degree of freedom. Yes, there may be a schedule to keep, but our models decide which assignments they’d like to star in. Also, modelling is hardly a “9 to 5” business, and several of our models comment that the independence modelling affords them makes the jobs even more enjoyable.
Here at Models Direct, we’re great advocates of this simple philosophy: the more a model is involved in, the more a model will exude confidence. A model should have confidence even before embarking on a career in front of cameras, and confidence levels can only increase as work rates increase.