What is the difference between a show case agency and a modelling employment agency?
This is a question the Models Direct team are often asked by models and appreciate how it can be very confusing especially if you have been overloaded with lots of information from different agencies.
This blog will help you understand what the differences are between the two and highlight the benefits you will recieve as a model being signed with a professional agent – a modelling employment agency like Models Direct.
Models Direct has been in business since 1990 and employs a full-time team of experienced and knowledgable agents who’s objective is to connect talented people to business everyday – Models Direct have helped thousands of talented people find paid modelling work in TV and film, catalogues, fashion, promotions and advertising.
Show Case Agency V Modelling Employment Agency
- A showcase agency can not legally actively put models or talent forward for work, they can only put your images on their website. Your images then sit on a site and are hopefully noticed by a client. A modelling employment agency will have a dedicated team of booking agents who’s responsibility it is to source work for their models. They do this by building a rapport with brands/businesses, chasing leads and putting models forward to clients to be considered for work. As a model you will have an agent who knows you, and has your best interests at heart.
- In an industry that is fast paced and extremely competitive it is reassuring to know you have an agent at the end of the phone who can help and advise you at any stage of the process. Models Direct have a large team of real people at their UK head office who are always on hand to speak to.
- Well known brands and large clients don’t have time to call numerous models directly to check availability for a shoot, negotiate rates or organise logistics – this is why they will use a modelling employment agency to coordinate this for them, it is just one call for them and removes all the stress!
- Modelling Employment Agencies do not take on unpaid work for their models, this is not the case with a show case agency. If you are registered with a showcase agency you could be contacted to do an assignment for TFP (time for print) – this means the client does not have any budget for the model so you will be expected to work for a copy of the images only. Any work you are selected for through Models Direct will be paid work and we guarantee to pay our models within 5 working days from the shoot, so there’s no chance of you having to chase client’s for payments yourself. Having a good agent means they will negotiate the best rate for you also, this is something that’s very difficult to do yourself.
- Client’s who book models from a showcase agency are unlikely to have been vetted, therfore you as the model are more vulnerable and it can be difficult to be sure who you will be working with and what the business does or images used for. A modelling employment agency does specific checks on their client’s before they see any model images or details, so you have that reassurance. This is incredibly important in this industry especially when working with junior and teen models. Often brands will employ a production agency to oversee a shoot, so it can be difficult to know who the end user of the images will be and the useage of images too – these are things your booking agent checks and coordinates for you.
- If you have made an application to a showcase agency they may well have insisted you have professional photographs taken. This is not necessary, is a big expense for a model and does not guarantee you work. Models Direct do not ask for professional images, we offer lots of advice on how to make sure your photographs are the best they can be – high quality images are important, but you can do this yourself.
- If you are registered with Models Direct you will know that the agency is regulated by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The BIS protects consumers by reguarly checking that all talent and modelling agencies meet the legal requirements.
- Modelling is competitive and no agency can promise a model work, it is up to the client who they select for the assignment. However, by being signed with a modelling employment agency it does mean your photographs will be put forward to clients that do require your look, talent, location or experience, this is a huge advantage to you and means you are considered from a much smaller selection of models.
If Models Direct sounds like an agency you would like to be represented by then click here and speak to one of the team today.